St. Michael Prayer

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray, and do, thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the Power of God, cast into hell satan and all of the evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

Glory to God in the Highest!

Monday, August 3, 2015

JMJ

JMJ
I watched a YouTube video of the
Venerable Fulton J. Sheen.
This very holy man began his
"homily"
by speaking, of course,
then, with great purpose and authority,
Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
walked over to his chalkboard and wrote the letters 
JMJ 
at the top of the board.

I paused and returned to my first grade classroom with 
Sister Mary Claudia,
may she rest in peace,
and one of the early days of school.






"Whenever you draw a picture or write a note to your friends in class,"
she smiled,
"Always begin by writing these three letters at the top of the page."
I knew my alphabet, but I didn't understand what the letters meant.  
I tried sounding them out,
"JUMJ."
No, that didn't sound right.

"Does anyone know what that means?"
We all answered in unison.
We were shocked as we said,
"What does that mean, Sister?"
Honestly, Sister Mary Claudia looked 14 feet tall!!!!

She smiled:

"The first J stands for Jesus."
What do you think the M stands for in this?"

Hands shot up into the air.
"Mary?"
"Yes, Mary is correct.
So, if the first J stands for Jesus and the M stands for Mary, what do you think the other J stands for here?"

Someone said, "Jesus?"
That was not the right answer.
Sister Mary Claudia helped us out.
"Who was the foster father of Jesus on earth?"
One little boy said, "The angels!"
Sister asked, "Does the word angel start with a J?  Let's think about this.  Jesus.  Mary. and?"
We knew.
Joseph.

Jesus. Mary. Joseph.

"Did you know that there are words that you can't see in this?"

"No, Sister,"we replied.

"There are," she said.  "The words you can't see, and never will see here, but you will remember them in your heart are:
To
Jesus
Through
Mary
and
Joseph.
What do you think that means?"

A cute little boy answered,
"When we want to go to Jesus, the best thing you can do is go through Mary and Joseph."

Sister Mary Claudia smiled.
She knew she had a priest to be in her class!
(I did hear that he became a priest many years later.)

"That's right," Sister smiled.  "The best way to go to Jesus is with the help of Mary and Joseph."

"That's our rule here.  All of your papers must begin with JMJ."

Several weeks later, Sister intercepted a note I had written to my best friend in class.
I was so scared when she took it from my hands.
She opened the note, and folded it right back up.
"Well, " Sister said.  "You'll just have to tell Mary Rose what you said in the note, but I am so proud of you!"
We all gave a collective gasp!
"Children, Mallory has set a good example for all of us.  She began her note with 
JMJ.  It's time for recess.  Mallory stay behind."

It seemed to me Sister was having a difficult time not smiling.
"I don't want to see any more notes passed in this class, do you understand?"
My lip was quivering.
"Next time, I'll have to call your mother, but I am so proud that you made Jesus happy by reminding Mary Rose that the best way to go to Him is through His Mother and Foster Father.
Do you understand?"

I did. 
Mary Rose was waiting for me outside.
She grabbed my hand and we walked around the parking lot together.
I cried a little, but it was okay.

To Jesus
Through Mary
And Joseph.

No more notes, except when I was sure Sister wasn't looking.
Whew!

I'll never forget
JMJ
again!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment