St. Michael Prayer

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray, and do, thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the Power of God, cast into hell satan and all of the evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

Glory to God in the Highest!

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Follow the Signs


Today I found myself in the middle of an adventure.  While waiting for my daughter, as she was undergoing a bone marrow biopsy, I went for a walk to find the campus book store.  I looked outside, and the rain was not just coming down, it was pouring down and pounding the pavement like David pounded Goliath.  Since I didn't know how to get to the bookstore from where I was, I was going to return to the waiting room until a young man came to my rescue.  He showed me a sign. He said that I could get to the book store by following the signs. 

I don't like the idea of getting lost, but it looked easy enough to follow the signs, and I wouldn’t have to go out in the rain if I walked the maze of tunnels to reach the bookstore.  

So, off I went, searching for the signs to help me go from point A to point B. 

It took a while and a few wrong turns, one wrong floor, and the help of many people along the way, but I made it to the bookstore by following the signs.  Even though I was a little worse for the wear, I was wiser and more knowledgable about the campus.

“No, problem,” I thought, “I can make it back by following the signs.”  I did, eventually.  I actually took a wrong turn to get to the right place.  It was amazing!  It was dumb luck that I actually took the right turn and made it back from Point B to Point A again.

This made me think about God and how he works to bring us to Him.  He lets us go.  We do have the gift of free will, so He won’t interfere with that, but He will send us signs to help us return home to Him.  All we have to do is follow those signs.

You know when you go to Mass and you drift off during the homily?  Maybe that’s one of the signs God is sending you, not the drifting off, of course, but the information contained in the homily.  You know that person who keeps talking about going to confession, and you just roll your eyes, that could be the sign God is sending you.  He doesn’t put a billboard in front of you, but He keeps sending that person to you to talk about confession.  Maybe out of the blue, your child says, “Why don’t we say goodnight prayers, together?”  Signs.  They’re all over.  All we have to do is learn to recognize them.

We have so many ways to follow the signs.  We can attend Mass as often as possible.  We can practice the virtues.  We can read Sacred Scripture.  We can talk to others about our faith.  We can put God first in our lives.  Remember, you’re at Point B right now.  You want to go back to Point A.  How do you do that?

Follow the signs.  Follow the signs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment