St. Michael Prayer

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray, and do, thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the Power of God, cast into hell satan and all of the evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

Glory to God in the Highest!

Friday, February 27, 2015

Then and Now


I was in high school at the time.  As part of math class we took a field trip to see a real computer.  Our teacher, a nun whose name escapes me now, told us that what we were going to see, was the future of the world. 

The computer was contained in a sterile room about the size of a small house.  The technicians working in the room wore sterile gowns, caps, pants, hats, and gloves. The scene reminded me of a surgical arena where break through surgical procedures being practiced.  The room was encased in glass.  The techs ignored us as we gawked at their work of collecting cards that the computer spit into different slots of this huge machine. 

Our guide frequently glanced at Sister, as she explained how important math was in the world we would grow into and inhabit.  The gentleman added very little to what she had to say.  He smiled as we boarded the bus and wished us well. 

(Insert the sound of fingernails scratching on an old fashioned chalkboard.)

Wait! 

I remember saying that I would never own a computer because I didn't need one.
Little did I know!

After we purchased our first computer, I remember saying that I would only use our huge 2 gig computer  for my college classes.  I went back to work for my special Ed certification.
My husband said that we'd never need another computer because we'd never fill this one up.

We were very surprised that we actually filled the computer up.

Our next computer had 8 gigabytes. 
That was a long time ago.

Today, I own a laptop, an old laptop, an iPad, and a smart phone.  Together they contain a lot more than 64 gigs of information. 

I carry one of my computers in my pocket - my smart phone!

Amazing changes in technology!

Yet through it all, there is one thing that has never changed.

God
Has never changed.
He is.
He was.
He will be
The same.


“Let nothing disturb you,
Let nothing frighten you,
All things are passing away:
God never changes.
Patience obtains all things.
Whoever has God lacks nothing;
God alone suffices.”
― Teresa of Ávila

No comments:

Post a Comment