St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray, and do, thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the Power of God, cast into hell satan and all of the evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.
Glory to God in the Highest!
Tuesday, February 17, 2015
50 Things to Give up or Do for Lent...
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.” Mother Theresa
1) Write a letter a day to a different person, everyday during Lent and mail them. The letter can be a letter of thanks, a letter of love, a letter of sympathy, a letter of forgiveness. Write that letter with the intent of making the reader a happier person.
2) Work on forgiveness. Get God involved in helping you to forgive. Ask for the graces. You will receive
3) Perform one good deed per day.
4) Find 5 things to thank God for each day.
5) Read Sacred Scripture daily aka the Bible.
6) Leave food on your plate each meal. Don't eat it all. Don't throw it away. Save for another time.
7) Eat only half of the food on your plate at each meal.
8) Increase your prayer time by 15 minutes each day. 0 + 15 minutes is still only 15 minutes.
9) Give up your soda beverage or favorite beverage for 40 days and nights.
10) Give up "sweets."
11) Give up your pillow.
12) Give up your bed. (This clearly isn't for everyone.)
13) Be kind to someone you don't like.
14) Keep a Lenten journal to record your journey.
15) Start a prayer journal. Write in it everyday during Lent.
17) Attend Mass everyday, if you can, during Lent.
18) Volunteer to serve at the parish suppers, if you can.
19) Attend Stations of the Cross as often as you can during Lent.
20) Practice the gift of silence once a week.
21) Adopt a priest during Lent and pray for him.
22) Go to confession each week during Lent.
23) Clean out your closet. Donate those extra clothes and shoes.
24) Attend adoration once a week.
25) Give up gossip.
26) Turn off the TV for Lent.
27) Pray a rosary for peace everyday
28) Give up hot water for showers.
29) Donate your soda money to a worthy cause.
30) Visit a nursing home either alone or with your children.
31) Give up buying books. Check them out of the library or read the ones you have.
32) Subscribe to and read Catholic blogs and literature every day.
33) Write a prayer a day for Lent. Pray those prayers.
34) Turn off the drama at home or at work. Refuse to be a part of it. Do not start it.
35) Wake up 15 minutes early and pray.
36) Practice a virtue.
37) Give up Facebook and other social media sites for Lent.
38) Listen only to Christian music during Lent.
39) Sing at church.
40) Smile at the person next to you at Mass, or someone in close proximity.
41) Give up online shopping.
42) Only buy what you need and not what you want.
43) Give up those latte's at the expensive coffee shop.
44) Turn off your cell phone, IPad, Smart phone, computer until the end of your day for personal use. Use it only after supper/
45) Read the Book of Esther in the Bible.
46) Stick to that diet.
47) Spend more time with your family.
48) Meditate on the crucifix every day.
49) Pray the rosary with your family everyday.
50) Make sacrifices for the souls in purgatory every day.
You can add to this list, and I hope you do. These ideas are just a starting point. Add to the list. Use the list, and make Lent a wonderful time of prayer and sacrifice.