St. Michael Prayer

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray, and do, thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the Power of God, cast into hell satan and all of the evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

Glory to God in the Highest!

Monday, April 4, 2016

The Need for Silence

"Be Still and Know that
I AM
God."
Psalm 46:10

The silence is ringing in my ears.
The silence is loud.
I'm not used to silence.
I prefer a chorus of white noise 
in the background,
but I am trying out the concept of
silence
in my life again.
 God knows what He's doing.

Science is now beginning
to prove that silence is important in our lives.
When exposed to silence for two hours a day,
mice begin to grow new cells in the brain.
These cells grow in the area of the brain where memory, emotions, and learning happen.

Silence, is this where we find God?

"He said, “Go out and stand on the mountain before the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.” Now there was a great wind, so strong that it was splitting mountains and breaking rocks in pieces before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake;  and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a sound of sheer silence. "
1 Kings 19: 11-12 
 
When praying, Jesus advises us to go into our private place to pray.
 
“And whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, so that they may be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward.  But whenever you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you."
Matthew 6: 5-6 
 
In this moment, I am embraced by the silence I hear.
I feel the peace of silence.
In this moment, I reach out to touch God,
but
He touches my heart with a silence that is not broken.
 
 In a few moments,  
 I will allow the world to intrude on my silence.
Perhaps silence is the key to restoring my prayer life?
 
I am beginning to realize that my world has been loud and noisy.
If God is found in silence,
why do I choose noise?
I will focus on this question in prayer and quiet.

Silence,
a gift of God 
and a
necessity for our souls.

Silence.
 

 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment