Today is the
Feast Day of the Archangels
Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael.
I'm not an expert on angels,
but here are 9 things about angels
that you might not know.
This, you probably know.
Angels are spirits. They have no bodies. They can move through time and space in the blink of an eye.
1) The only three archangels named in Sacred Scripture are
St. Michael, St. Gabriel, and St. Raphael.
2) St. Michael is he leader of all the angels. He is a warrior angel. His name means, "Who is like God."
3) St. Gabriel serves God as a messenger. His name means: "God's Strength."
4) St. Raphael's name means "God has Healed."
5) St. Michael the Archangel cast lucifer and his demons into hell.
6) Pope Leo the 8th instituted this prayer to be said after every Mass:
St. Michael the Archangel,
Defend us in battle,
Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
do, Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host,
by the Power of God,
cast into hell
satan and all of the evil spirits
who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls.
7) St. Gabriel announced the upcoming birth of John the Baptist to John's father, and, most importantly, he brought Mama Mary the request for her to become the Mother of God.
8) Some theologians believe that St. Gabriel is also the angel who announced the birth of Jesus to the shepherds.
9) St. Raphael is thought to be the angel who stirred the pond so that the first in the water would be healed.
Now, how's that about a few angel facts. If you're interested in learning more about angels,
try these sites.
There's a lot there about angels.
Holy Archangels stand before the Throne of God.
We beg you, that, on this your feast day,
you pray for us and bless us.
St. Michael, protect us.
St Gabriel, guide us.
St. Raphael, heal us.