St. Michael Prayer

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray, and do, thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the Power of God, cast into hell satan and all of the evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

Glory to God in the Highest!

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Singing at Mass - Make a joyful noise? What do I hear? Silence!

It doesn’t seem to matter which Catholic Church I attend on Sundays, the one thing I hear most often during the liturgy is the organist playing the organ or the pianist playing the piano and the cantor singing——alone.  Once in a while, I do hear other voices joining in song, but most of the time, what I hear in the congregation is silence.  There might be a rustling of pages as someone tries to find the song, but when I look out at the congregation, I see mouths closed and books put away.

The most common reasons given are::

I can’t sing.
I don’t know the songs.
The songs are too high for me to sing.
I sing off key.
I can’t carry a tune.

Psalm 100 says::  “Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth.”

My friend Maria takes the hour from 1-2 PM for adoration.  I have the hour from 2-3.  As often as I can, I get to adoration early so that Maria and I can make a joyful noises to the Lord in front of the Blessed Sacrament. 

Maria claims that she has a terrible voice.  I will not say that Maria’s voice is terrible, but I will say that her voice is unique.  She is confident in her voice and says, “This is the voice God gave me, so I’m using it.”   As she and I sing, praising the Lord, our voices work in perfect harmony.  We sing the same melody, but the harmony is amazing!  God does not ask us to sing perfectly, but he does ask us to “Make a joyful noise.”  Maria and I make a lot of joyful noises to God.   No one says we are perfect, but we are joyful and very noisy!

Does it matter to God that you can’t sing?  Of course not.  He gave you that voice, and he gave it to you for a reason.  He wants you to use your voice to sing and give praise to Him.  The psalms were meant to be sung. 

Does it matter to God that you don’t know the songs?  Of course, not!  It doesn’t matter.  God just wants you to open your heart to Him and praise Him and thank Him with all your heart and soul, in song.  To help you, pick up your Bible.  (You might have to dust this sacred book off.)  Turn to the psalms and begin to sing them.  Find the Psalms of praise and thanksgiving.  Open your heart and sing them to God out loud. 

Does it matter to God that the songs are too high to sing?  No, after all you can sing in a lower key.  God doesn’t care.  Lift your voice in praise.  You, too, can make a joyful noise.

Does it matter to God that you sing off key?  God gave you your voice for a reason, and He wants you to use it.  Sing off key.  You won’t be the only one. 

Does it matter to God that you can’t carry a tune?  No, it doesn’t matter.  God just wants you to sing.  Praise Him and Bless Him. Give thanks for everything!  On key or off key, God doesn’t care.  God sang on they day you were conceived.  His love knows no boundaries.  His love never ends. 

Make a joyful noise!!  That’s all that He wants!


No comments:

Post a Comment