St. Michael Prayer

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray, and do, thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the Power of God, cast into hell satan and all of the evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

Glory to God in the Highest!

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Worth Repeating: Ways to Help the Souls in Purgatory

Impatience is a sin which I regularly confess.  Most of my impatience happens when I drive.  Today was no exception.  I drove on Highway 14 heading towards Sam's Club to shop.  The Lord has a sense of humor!  Within 5 minutes of being on the road, I found myself driving behind a car going less than 55 mph in a 65 mph speed limit.  Grrrrrrrrrrr!  The cars behind me were moving over to the fast lane to pass both of us.  Since there were so many cars, I was stuck.  The car in front of me slowed down to 50 mph.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.  I. Was. Impatient. To. Pass, and my exit was approaching!  I thumped my fingers on the steering wheel.  Then, my guardian angel must have whispered in my ear.  I thought of the souls stranded in Purgatory who so desperately need our prayers, sacrifices, and acts of charity to enter heaven.  

I realized I could offer my contrition for my impatience  to God for the beloved souls.  I whispered a quick apology to God and asked Him to forgive me and bless the driver of the slow car in front of me.  Then, I asked God use what He could of my repentance for the souls.  After that, each time I started to become impatient, I offered it up for the souls in Purgatory. I was still stuck behind that slooooow car. The drive became much more tolerable knowing that I had this gift, this tiny sacrifice, to help the souls stuck in Purgatory.

When I reached Sam’s, I saw that the driver was an elderly man bringing his elderly, disabled wife to shop.  He smiled at me when we parked next to each other.  I was ashamed and added impatience to my notebook for confession. 

As I shopped, my angel reminded me that there are many more ways to help the souls who are moving slowly through Purgatory knowing there is nothing they can do to help themselves.  

Pray for the souls daily, hourly. 
      A quick prayer to say is:  Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, I love You!  Save souls!  Say this prayer 9 times and you have prayed a novena for the souls. 

Say the St Gertrude prayer which is said to release 1,000 souls each time it is prayed.

Eternal Father, I offer You the most Precious Blood of Your Divine Son, Jesus, in Union with all the Masses said throughout the world today, in reparation for sins, for the Holy souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home, and in my family. Amen.


I always add::

All praise and honor be to the Precious Blood of Jesus for it wrought our salvation and redemption. Amen. 

All of these prayers said together will take less than five minutes and you will have helped souls move beyond the bounds of Purgatory.

2) Attend a Holy Hour of Adoration in front of the Blessed Sacrament and offer the time spent adoring Jesus for the souls.

3) Offer up your aches and pains, (We all have them,) for the souls.

4) Turn your sins into virtues by repenting of your sins, changing your behaviors, your thinking, and offering up the emerging virtues for souls.

5) Every morning, dedicate your day for the Holy Souls.

6) Fast for the souls in Purgatory.  Skip a meal. Don't buy that coffee you crave.  Give up soda.   Turn off TV. Offer your "fast" up for the Souls.

7) Your acts of charity should not be wasted either.  You know that co-worker that annoys you?  Smile and say a kind word.  Offer the merits of your kindness for the souls.  You know that family member you haven't spoken with in 10 years?  Forgive the infraction.  Forgive the hurt, and this can be very difficult.  Offer your merits for the souls who suffer so greatly.  The souls will never forget your kindnesses to them.

When you die, and you are released from the bonds of Purgatory, the souls you helped to release will be waiting at the Gate of Heaven to take you to Jesus as you make your triumphant entry.  They will never forget that you helped them see the Face of God sooner than they could have without your merits going for their souls.  While you live, they will pray for you and with you.  They will intercede for you even as they suffer the pangs of Purgatory.  They love you!  They want to be in heaven with you. 

Always remember that God loves the souls in purgatory. He also loves those who love the souls.  You are His beloved child.  His Love is unending for you and for all His children. Help save souls!

No comments:

Post a Comment